The 2-6-0 "Mogul", first created in the early 1860s, is often considered as the logical forerunner to the 2-8-0. However, there is also a claim that the first true 2-8-0 engine evolved from the 0-8-0 and was ordered by the USís Lehigh and Mahanoy Railroad, who named all its engines. The name given to the new locomotive was "Consolidation", the name that was later almost globally adopted for the type. [.
Olympic Scenic Railway No.507 is former Washington Northern No. 118. It served until 1957 when it was retired. Saved from the scrap yard by a private owner, the locomotive lingered in a local park on display until 1988 when it was purchased by the Olympic Scenic Railway and restored.